[IRCA] iPhones and IBOC

Craig wrote:
"This from today's Inside Radio.  No receiver at all, much less one for
IBOC. It will receive audio streams, however.  It's also interesting to see
they expect sales of 10 million units vs. the 300,000 that iBiquity claims
for HD Radio receivers - which includes automobile factory-installed units.
 And it's cheaper than most of them, and does many functions instead of just
one for the HD radios.  Personally, I hope this is a big fat nail in the HD
coffin."

You know, Craig, I have a more than sneaking suspcion that within the next
couple of decades we're going to see OTA radio (including satellite
delivery) go the way of the Dodo in any major population area (or
well-travelled highway.) The 'net streamcaster model is going to continue to
evolve and will become the preferred method of delivery and programming for
Joe Listener.

Outside of the areas where a good wireless soup can be maintained you'll
still have viable markets for listeners but even they (the stations serving
to fill those holes) will have to start thinking about serving the audience
rather than shareholder value once more.

The down side of all this is that radio stations will drastically decrease
in numbers on AM and FM.

The up side is that (barring PAC-motivated federal interference) the
stations left for us to listen to (and DX) will be much more in touch with
their audiences' desires and far less likely to belong to a monolithic
entity.

So, now's the time to buy those AM and FMs with good coverage *outside* of
major metropolitan areas!

Lee