Re: [IRCA] Ultralight DXpeditions...Freedom and Fun Without a Ton .

Re: [IRCA] Ultralight DXpeditions...Freedom and Fun Without a Ton .

Hi Brett,

     I had the same problem here with my Sony MD  recorder and Edirol R09 mp3
recorder, which both emit way too much RF hash to  record weak TP's.  After
much experimentation, I settled on the Sony  ICD-SX57 audio recorder, which is
a very high quality digital recorder  that is completely free of RF hash
during recording (as long as you  separate it from the radio by at least 12
inches).  This ICD-SX57 can  record in near-CD quality stereo if desired, and retails
for just over $100 at  Amazon.

     After recording the TP's on the Ultralights, I  re-record the clips onto
the Edirol R09 (or any other mp3 recorder), for  downloading onto the
computer.  The system worked great during the  DXpedition, and a couple of mp3 clips
are posted on the "Ultralighthotrodding"  group site at yahoo.com.

     RF hash is the enemy of the ultra-sensitive  hot-rodded Ultralights, so
I purposely avoided any computer-generated recording  program.  In fact,
Ultralight DXpeditioners would do well do avoid any  computers and the RF hash they
generate, since the stock antennas (or  mega-transplants) do not have the
shielded inputs common in table  receivers.  This motivates serious Ultralight
DXpeditioners to  find an RF-hash free recoding zone, if possible.

                 73,  Gary