Re: [IRCA] max groundwave propagation distance

Re: [IRCA] max groundwave propagation distance

Dennis,

Too bad I didn't know you lived in Vacaville in the late eighties-early nineties I'd have dropped by and said hello :-).

I could hear KFI daytimes from my West Sacramento location on a regular basis with a fairly decent signal but can barely hear them through the heavy background noises here in San Francisco.
Often they are totally covered by the QRN.

Dennis, I'm sure you recall all the strip malls and housing on the south side of I-80 as you travel through Vacaville nowdays!?  I remember in the 60s-70s when these were ALL onion fields.  You
could smell the onions all through the area.  Made you want to stop at a restaurant and have a hamburger.  It won't be long before the whole strip from San Francisco to Auburn is one big urban
development.  They don't have far to go anymore.

>From West Sacto I could get decent reception from KAFY-550-Bakersfield days as well as the Bakersfield station on 800, who only had 250 watts at the time.  But I think KFI was the only station
to make it over the Tehachapis during midday.  I often picked up the 10 watt junior college station on 660  from Modesto though.  This with a 75' inverted L rooftop antenna and/or a box loop
assisted somewhat by a Hammarlund HQ-140X.

Don K.
S.F. CA