Re: [IRCA] UPS

> I have been considering buying a UPS for my R8. Most get them for
> computers, but I wonder how well one would work for using the receiver
> and phaser during a power outage...

I wouldn't bother with a UPS.  I would find a deep-cycle battery and a 12v
power supply.  I run the Palstar off a smallish 12v battery sold by Radio
Shack for about $25 and normally used in UPSs.  Since the Drake can run
right off 12v, there's no need to feed it 120vac.

If you *really* wanted a good battery, a company called Optima makes a
yellow top deep cell battery that would power the Drake for days.  It's
around $225 and the size of a large car battery.  I have one I use to power
a heater and it's worked very reliably.

No need to buy a battery charger.  A regular 12v power supply does just as
well.  Most put out a nominal 13.8v just as a vehicle alternator does.  The
non-switcher ham type power supplies are made to be quiet for radio use.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI