Re: [IRCA] Waiting for the sky to fall...

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Russ,
>
> 50 KW WOR did not have a 40 mile coverage at night, on 710, a low
> frequency? That is a surprise. Heck, going out 40 miles in some
> directions you are still in metro NYC area.

I lived less than 30 miles from their transmitter in northern NJ from
1969-82 in two different locations about 5 miles apart. WOR was not
regularly listenable on a consumer radio many nights at either. Look at
their directional pattern. The Quebec station of the time often
clobbered them.

Similarly 1010 and 1050 had Toronto almost equal to NYC many nights.
1560 ( which was classical then ) was even more difficult to listen to.
All of these also have strong directional patterns.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id