Re: [IRCA] A DXers future?

I retitled the subject line, as this has nothing to do with KAST any
longer.
   As I just e mailed another DXer friend, I am moving into more
directional antennas here in NW Oregon. I have no idea if my Eastern
beverage will do me much good in the future on MW. Time will tell. It
"cooks" on the upper frequencies abouve 1200 khz, so it HD becomes an
issue on the lower channels (clears), it still might be useable on the
regionals in many cases.
  I have been reading great discussions on other lists of the Wellbrook
Phased Array. It is spendy, but it looks like it might be the ticket.
The WNW EWE / SW EWEs I have do a great job, but especially on the SW
EWE, I get too much HD noise from CA, the Bay Area up here in the
mornings. As it gets around LSR, CA is already in daylight, so most of
it goes before the TPs fade out up here. But the window of good TP DX is
going to get more narrow with the advent of more HD in Northern CA. The
WNW EWE puts a beautiful null on the likes of KSL as as it gets towards
Winter and the gw extends out where KSL is a problem all day, then
directional antennas will be needed more. We all do what we can. But in
my case I will continue to work on the patterns of the antennas to try
and cut out more domestics.  I would love to develop one that would get
no domestics, except maybe the locals. But I doubt that could to done.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager