Re: [IRCA] coax loss

Craig,

Thanks. Well, after I posted the message, I put a couple banana plugs on
the end of the RG59 and ran it out to each of the three antennas. I did
A/B tests on two locals (KSWB-840-Seaside, KAST-1370-Astoria) just
before dark.
KKEE-1230-Astoria was getting too much jumble in the signal so not
stable enough. In every case checking the new RG59 against the three
pieces of RG6, I could not see any difference. Zero, zip, nothing. I got
exactly the same S Meter readings. Not even a DB difference. If the RG6
was reading S9+38, then the new RG59 was reading the same. I checked
across the dial, the noise and signal levels were the same as far as I
could tell. Anytime in the past when a piece of coax would go bad, I
would start getting noise and the S Meter would drop, a bad connection,
water getting in, etc. I do not remember if I had the 2.5-5 ohms when I
installed the coax years back. It is not replacing it cost-wise, but the
work of running in under the house and back to the antennas. But I would
fiqure, if there was any issue, I would have seen some difference in
signal. The RG6 runs 75-80 feet and the roll of RG59 is 100 feet. 20
feet would have little effect on signal, especially at 1 MHZ. As you
mentioned, VHF is a different animal. The old RG59 used to be raded at a
loss of 3 DB at 100 MHZ per 100 feet. I would guess using RG6 at 80
feet, the loss at 1 MHZ would be under 1 DB. Has anyone ever measured
the loss of RG59/RG6 at 1 MHZ? All material I have read was 100 MHZ.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager