Re: [IRCA] Prediction on the 1610 mystery station

Re: [IRCA] Prediction on the 1610 mystery station

> Willis, I am 15 miles north of Greenville, S.C. and it is nowhere near
me

> > If it is ever discovered where this 1610 mystery station is located,
> > I will  predict that it will be found at one of these locations....
> >
> > If it's government/ military it will be from one of these areas--
> > CAMP LEJEUNE, NC (marine)
> > NORFOLK, VA (navy)
> > GREENVILLE, NC (VOA/government)

Who remembers from 32 years ago the 50 kw WGU20
on 179 kHz? "This is W - G - U - twenty, the Defense
Civil Preparedness Agency station serving the east
central states with emergency information. Eastern
standard time fourteen hours, twentyone minutes
thirtyfive seconds (beep) [time is an example, the whole
loop repeated every 20 or so seconds]

This station one of the first solid state xmtrs was
located at the Aberdeen Proving Ground which is
not too far from Havre de Grace. That could be a likely
possibility for an operation like this.

WGU20 had a nice QSL card, of which I am happy to
have one in my collection. These fellows literally
did cover the east central states 5 x 5. None of
the 10 or so other such stations that were planned
ever got built.

If any one of you guys finds yourself heading
down I-95 you're close to APG. Look for the signage
directing you to the exit for the Army Ordnance Museum,
itself an interesting visit. That's about the only
sign I recall for this facility. Not to say the tone is
from there, just a possibility to check that seems to
line up with many of the reported DF plots..

What was interesting about this station was the
muffled effect on the voice, likely due to the Q of
the antenna, as I recall it.

The DCPA itself is gone, today it would just
be a part of DHS. They wanted to put LF receivers into
TV sets that would mute the TV and come alive
with tone activated emergency messages.

- Bob                             sent 2239 est