Re: [IRCA] passports & Nova Scotia OT

> as I understand it, the passport requirement is for people entering the US
> -- after 31/12/06, entering via air or sea (but not ferry), one needs a
> valid passport.  One year later, all travellers need one.  Canadian link
> for
> this info is:
>
> http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency/whti-ivho/menu-e.html
>
> One of the objections Canada has is that the US has a low proportion of
> its
> citizens who have passports; therefore, travel ($$) to Canada will likely
> suffer

It should be noted that there's plenty of objection to this plan on the US
side as well. Those of us who live on or near the border understand that
an "international" trip can be something as trivial as a Canadian coming
to Buffalo for a Sabres game or wings at the Anchor Bar and returning a
few hours later, or someone in Detroit heading to Windsor for lunch.
Imposing a passport requirement, or even the less-expensive ID card that's
now being discussed, would be devastating to many businesses along the
border that depend on tourism. There's at least some hope that pressure
from border-state lawmakers may lead the US to delay the plan, at the very
least.

(If I may inject my own opinion here, the correct solution is not
draconian security for the everyday traffic at busy US-Canadian road
crossings. Europe has the right idea - a tight border for traffic entering
the European Union, and then free traffic within the Union. I fear that
the fearmongering still in effect in Washington will stand in the way of
any such sensible plan for the US and Canada, at least in the short term,
and more's the pity.)