Re: [IRCA] 1700 WJCC and FCC DB

> That's one of the more circular arguments out there.
>
> Of course there's more to it, because the FCC has, in many cases where
> the original frequency was vacated, turned around and declared it
> vacant and available for new bids -- and I suspect that's the
> foundation for the argument that it isn't working as planned.

This merits a bit of clarification...

Unlike FM, where there's a table of allocations and you can't apply for a
frequency or class that's not already listed on the table, AM has no
allocations table system.

If you want a new AM signal, you need to wait for a major change window
(which come around every three years or so) and find a frequency that can
be used in the area you're targeting (it's all done by contour protection)
- and then you apply. Whether a frequency is considered "open" is
determined by what's in the FCC database when the app is filed.

So what happens in Madison, for instance, where there's at least one app
that was filed for a new facility on 1480, even though WLMV is still on
the air there? In that case, I think the new app will likely be tossed,
since WLMV was still licensed at the time the filing window was opened.
But for the broadcasters who thought they were playing by the rules, who
returned their licenses early in the process, they may not be so
fortunate. This will be interesting!