Re: [IRCA] Palstar receiver

> I was looking into to one sometime back, but without a Noise Blanker was
> the issue as I live a few feet from an electric fence. All of my
> receivers have to have an noise blanker or the clicking drives you nuts.
> The new Palstar due out this year or next is supposed to be under a
> grand and with have a noise blanker.

I was somewhat concerned, as I bought this specifically to install in the
truck.  However, the truck seems to be electrically quiet enough so it's not
an issue.  The major noise problem is stuff heard along some streets.  I
don't think a blanker would matter on that.  A new Tim Horton's donut place
was built in the next town over from me.  Something they have running in
there is loud enough so even the local stations get buzzed out by it.

I am looking for a Cummins 4BTA diesel to swap into the truck.  The 350 V8
was a used one I swapped in a couple years ago and it's already getting
tired.  If I have to do another engine swap, I want something with good
mileage, reliable, and no ignition system.  That four cylinder Cummins fits
the bill.  It's the same engine they use in the P30 delivery vans like Frito
Lay and bread companies use.  Common enough, and about $2,500 for a good
used one.  Beats car payments..

> I am very pleased with the MW 550P though. Palstar makes good stuff.

I've been looking for one of those on eBay, but I doubt one will ever show.
Gotta be a slow seller.  I don't think I really need it, especially in the
truck.  Volume, tuning and antenna switch are quite enough while driving.  I
tried the phaser there for a while, but it was too much.

The lightning has gone, so I think I'll go sit in the truck for a while to
see what I can hear.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI