[IRCA] NC stations and an interesting history and point of departure

[IRCA] NC stations and an interesting history and point of departure

Don,

You mentioned WPAQ-740 Mount Airy.

I may be confusing Mount Airy with another town or city in NC, but believe Mount Airy was the model or foundation for Mayberry of the "Andy of Mayberry" series.

And then there is WPAQ. WPAQ is 10 kW/D, 10W/N. Don't know about the night authorization and whether it's being used. I digress.

Times we've passed through Mount Airy on US-56* heading to Indianapolis, Nashville or Fort Knox; I've made it a point to tune WPAQ. It's nearly 100%
Bluegrass**. What sets it aside in my observations is that the air personalities are of a 50-kW clear quality, handling and discussing Bluegrass as a topic. I guess that would be something like WTOP-1500 going Bluegrass yet keeping the studio lineup with the proviso that they must know and enjoy Bluegrass themselves, and be able have in-studio interviews with those who do and handle it all in a dignified manner. Certainly unusual, but the station has "class."

Here this submission wanders off-topic, well, maybe.

* US-52 is to be the "alignment" in this area (VA & NC) for the extension of Interstate I-74 out of Chicago down to Wilmington (NC). Portions of US-52 are already up to Interstate standards.

** Bluegrass. My paternal grandmother used to pick, grin and play Bluegrass on her guitar for an audience of one...me. So it has that sound that is a permanent
home for me. Strident, discordant. Needing to be acquired as a taste for many. My wife, Leonor, a filipina, hasn't or won't learn to abide Bluegrass. So much a shame because she and my "redneck" grandmaw stand as near sisters in matters of attitude and thought. Leonor immigrated here in 1974, and my grandmother died four weeks later. Give them a pickup, hunting rifles, and they would have been in Hawg Heaven together. Going to 'rasstlin' matches. NASCAR

Digressions and Delectations. WPAQ was the first interlace.

Charlie WD9INP/4

The Kaskey Family wrote:
Cholly,

Smyrna/Sylva...my brain boggles..........Moorhead City wasn't the only NC station I heard on 740 in those days.  Got WPAQ in Mount Airy as well.

don

Charles A & Leonor L Taylor wrote:

The Kaskey Family wrote:

Chaz:.

Thanks for the info on Smyrna NC on 680.  I always wondered how they managed to get a station on 680 with WPTF so close.  Back in the 'Good Ole Days' I heard WMBL-740 every so often in the
1950-52 period (from Iowa that is).

73

don

Don,

Sylva. There is a Smyrna in NC, but it is a tiny spot in the road over
in Carteret County on the Atlantic (nearly). Come to think of it, there is
also an Atlantic in NC, also in Carteret County. Also a spot in the road.

WMBL-740 was a daytime, every day, always item on the Bermudian Daytime
Dial. As a matter of fact, the difference between WMBL when heard from
Harrington Hundreds Road , Bermuda [There is such a place, and its where
we resided for three years] and from Grifton (NC),. was small.

But as far as I know WMBL is gone forever.

I always end up heaving in a ton of related archival information, but
worthless to any other human being.

--