Re: [IRCA] DU DX in Seattle on Saturday 9/12

I was thinking the same as NIck:   in a word, "Wow"!  Was making me feel
like I needed a K9AY again!   73,  Walt

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 6:59 AM, Bruce Portzer <bportzer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, this is embarassing.......
>
> I was actually playing back my recording from last June's visit to
> Grayland, which was on the same hard drive as this morning's recording.
> Not sure why I didn't notice the wrong date.  I've been having issues with
> the Winradio software, had spent part of the day troubleshooting and
> reinstalling it, and was probably in the mood for some good news.
>
> Bruce
>

> On 9/12/2015 11:05 PM, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
>
>> Wow...
>>
>> What is also interesting is that you were hearing these during the hour
>> before the opening started here, when it was, in fact, pretty dead.   I
>> think that K9AY is coupled to a coastal Beverage.
>>
>> best wishes,
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> At 04:47 13-09-15, Bruce P. wrote:
>>
>>>  Today's report may look like I was at Grayland, but I was actually
>>> DXing from home.  Last night i decided to use the southwest lobe of the
>>> K9AY in hopes of hearing DUs.  I hadn't tried this i the past because that
>>> direction also points at several local 50 kw transmitter sites.
>>>
>>> The results exceeded my wildest expectations, with carriers on most 9
>>> kHz channels.  Except for 1566, they were all DU too.  I may want to try
>>> this approach more often.
>>>

>>> GOOD
>>> 891    4TAB, 1204 & 1231 horse racing results, 5AN in the background
>>> 1116`4BC, 1223 ads, ID and anmt by woman on how to complain about their
>>> programs, then talk show
>>> 1332    Unid, someone briefly quite strong 1236 with oldies
>>> ("Galveston", "The Great Pretender", etc) but faded down at ID time.
>>> Possibly 4BU
>>>
>>> FAIR
>>> 738    Tahiti, 11237 French ethnic pop tunes
>>> 891    5AN, 1235 woman with end of news, "ABC News" ID, then start of
>>> country music program hosted by woman // the NT station on 2485
>>> 963    Star, easy listening vocals 1227
>>> 1008    Newstalk ZB weather report 1205, then talk show, had what
>>> sounded like racing results 1220, much KOMO splatter
>>> 1035    Newstalk ZB, end of news/wx, ID & start of talk show 1206 //1044
>>> 1044    "Newstalk ZB" ID 1205 after news & weather
>>> 1062    4TI, ABC News ID & fanfare 1200, start of country music program
>>> 1205
>>> 1098    Man saying "Australia's longest running country music
>>> (something)", mumbled talk, then played Charlie Daniels "Devil Went Down to
>>> Georgia" 1244. Unid talk in background.
>>> 1251    Rhema, Christian vocal song 1221, religious talk 1238, almost as
>>> strong as local KKDZ-1250 at times
>>> 1386    Tarana, Indian pop music 1208
>>> 1503    Radio Sport, 1245 relay of Fox Sports radio
>>> 1548    4QD, country music program 1247, Aussie talk, quite nice at
>>> times but bad 1550 splash
>>> 1566    HLAZ Chinese preacher 1143
>>>
>>> POOR
>>> 657    Star, music //963 1227
>>> 756    weak male talk 1152, music 1211, probably NZ
>>> 774    3LO, 2 men talking in Aussie English 1211
>>> 792    Male talk, inflections consistent with DU English 1227
>>> 855    woman talking, music //1548 1226
>>> 909    Star m1220 EZL music //963
>>> 936    Woman in Chinese 1226, apparently the NZer
>>> 981    Star, female EZL song 1220 //909
>>> 1053    Newstalk ZB, talk //1044 1206
>>> 1107    DU talk (ads) in 1120 splatter 1247
>>> 1125`    male talk 1221 & other times, too much splatter to understand it
>>> 1161    Music 1227 & other times, likely NZ
>>> 1179    Reggae music ("Buffalo Soldiers") probably NZ 1227
>>> 1278    Male DU talk 1227
>>> 1296    Male DU talk 1226
>>> 1458    DU male talk 1247
>>> 1476    DU talk 1227, possibly racing results
>>> 1494    Star, 1241 music //964
>>> 1512    Male talk 1227, decent signal but audio mostly buried in