[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, August 20-27, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside or N-S random wire; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page38

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2749-USB, Aug 25 at 0251, very poor, YL in English with numbers, presumed marine weather from VCS-2, Halifax, as scheduled at 0240, 0810, 1540, 1940, time-shared with three other stations. Nothing audible on 2598-USB (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Aug 27 circa 0255 UT, and anytime I check at night for the past several weeks, KGYN Guymon always with a good signal in C&W, so obviously keeps running ND day pattern, 10 kW, instead of westward protecting Philadelphia and Enid on the way (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 17120, Aug 22 at 1413 UT, extremely distorted blob on the FRG-7 with modulation I can barely match on another receiver to my strongest local, 1390 KCRC ESPN. It`s not a harmonic (which KCRC also produces), but external mixing (or in receiver?) with very strong 15730 Radio Habana Cuba, which is 1390 kHz away from 17120 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1640, Aug 22 at 0523 UT, open carrier/dead air from KZLS Enid-Hennessey-OKC, a couple hours after a heavy storm moved thru here, presumably knocking out STL or something as happens far too often with station, even without lightning.

So I can hear WTNI MS sports mixing with a third station under, surely WI or maybe UT. Still OCDA at 0620 UT, but by 0637 UT, `Red Eye Radio` has resumed. Enid`s two other AM stations remained on, but FM 88.3, 95.7 and 107.1 were all off completely, 89.1 dead air, which you may read about only in sources not restricted to MW only (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

**  OKLAHOMA. Call change at 1650 KYHN --- DX-midAMerica reports 1650 WFSM AR Ft. Smith [NewsTALK] ex: KHYN [sic]. Best wishes (Barry :-) Davies, Carlisle UK, Aug 20, MWCircle yg via DXLD)

1650 KYHN AR Fort Smith â Call change to WFSM (Aug. 14) (AM Switch, NRC DX News Aug 31 via DXLD)

Don`t you believe it. I`m surprised no one points out that a W-call at the western edge of ARKANSAS (site and office in Sallisaw, OKLAHOMA) would be very unlikely, far west of the Mississippi. Perhaps they believe the FCC which indeed now shows WFSM:
https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=87114

BUT, I monitored at 1059 UT August 26 and definitely heard a singing ID as ``Arklahoma`s Talk Station KYHN, Fort Smith``, and CBS News.

Possibly the intention was to change to KFSM, which still shows as an unused call on AM. But KFSM-TV is a call in Ft Smith, channel 18, CBS affiliate; different licensees:
https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=66469

This would not be the first time FCC info conflicts with station announcements around here, i.e. KEOR vs KETU Catoosa etc. 1120 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1788, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Given all that you say, Glenn, and being on the station's door step how do report a logging come Fall? Best wishes (Barry  :-) Davies, Carlisle UK, MWCircle yg via DXLD)

I am hardly on the 1650 doorstep, but 297 km = 185 miles away. We`ll have to keep monitoring at ID time.

I see that radio-locator has unquestioningly gone with ``WFSM-AM`` and no more KYHN:
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=wfsm&x=11&y=3&sr=Y&s=C
Of course, there is also no such thing as an ``-AM``suffix!

How about we refer to it as Facility 87114; that will be immutable. R-L also thinx there is no website, format unknown, for ``WFSM``, but the KYHN one is still extant:
http://kyhnradio.com/
which doesn`t prove anything about the current call. It provides a webstream which still works:
http://kyhnradio.com/assets/images/listenlive.png

Attempted to send e-mail to station via webform:

``Your station is now listed by FCC and other sources as WFSM! Yet you are still IDing at KYHN. Could you please explain what is going on, and how a new W- call could possibly be assigned west of the Mississippi? Is there some relation with KFSM-TV?? I often listen to you on 1650 here in Enid OK.``

But it didn`t go thru. ``Call us at 479-783-1650``

They were on Facebook, and a cache from July is available but currently:
https://www.facebook.com/kyhnam1650
is broken or removed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 540, Aug 24 at 0100 UT after some Spanish music, Spanish talk is interrupted for legal ID in English for KDFT Dallas-Fort Worth; 0101 UT, TC for 8 de la noche. This late, I was hoping for something more exotic like much-needed KNMX Las Vegas NM, or an XE. But official FCC August sunset in Ferris TX is 0115 UT; September, 0030 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 880, Aug 26 at 0240 UT, gospel huxter in English on the ALA-330S which is mounted east-west, while secular KRVN NE is heard when switching to the N-S randomwire. I haven`t heard hard-sell religion on KHAC AZ/NM, and didn`t check whether any LSB from this; maybe KLRG Arkansas for format fit, but should be on night power of 220 watts instead of 50 kW day, according to the new 2015-2016 NRC AM Log.

880-CUSB, Aug 27 at 0224 UT from E/W, sermon and outro as ``encore 2015`` on `Truth for Life`. This IDs my unID of almost 24 hours earlier not as KLRE Arkansas, but as KHAC Tse Bonito NM, the Christian Navajo station, when I did not think to detect whether it was lacking any lower sideband which is the case now; quite an oddity for the MW band, and not obvious with ordinary AM tuning. Also obvious that KHAC keeps running 10 kW day power at night, non-direxional; no mere 430 watts, this! Aug FCC LSR/LSS: 1230/0200 UT; Sept: 1300/0130 UT. Much better than talk in English on 770, presumably KKOB (Santa Fe?) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. [620 and] 1690, Aug 22 at 0153 UT, R. Disney YL DJ gabbing, so I check 620 and find that 1690 is 9 seconds behind 620. Disney still hasn`t unloaded two O&O stations we can hear, 1690 KDDZ Arvada CO (address in Lakewood), and 620 KMKI Plano TX (address in Dallas); the latter has been reported sold to the KSKY-cluster but must not have finalized yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. [about 1300] 6220-AM, Aug 20 at *2357:33.5, WWCR/WNQM mix pops on the air at exactly same time as 7520 comes on. 6220 is about S4. Then check 8820 and find an S1 JBA carrier there too. Next time I should log exactly when the latter appear for absolute confirmation of its source too. And so many other WNQM/WWCR mixing spurs to explore! As in previously compiled table (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1060.0, Aug 24 at 0125 UT, soft music in Spanish, roughly E/W which rules out XERDO as does not being off-frequency. Doubt it`s KIJN Farwell TX, which I think has been silent for some time, and was also off-frequency. I see in FCC AM Query that KIJN is still not on the Silent list, nor has it been transformed into DKIJN despite license expiry over a biyear ago. By 0140 UT overtaken by rosary in English, no doubt KRCN Colorado. Other SS listed in last year`s NRC AM Log: KRUZ Van Buren AR, but it too has been silent and really on the list since 4/11/15; KXPL El Paso but it`s supposed to be news-talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1510, UT Sat Aug 22 at 0622 UT, NBC Sports Radio. No affiliates known on this frequency; could it be WLAC? No, loops definitely NE/SW --- that points to KCTE Independence MO, but which was last known to be an ESPN affiliate --- and often off frequency low with a het, but this is not. Furthermore, it`s a 10 kW daytimer, but not the first time it would broadcast overnight. Kept listening until 0636 UT but despite ad breaks, no ID or local info heard.

In last year`s NRC AM Log, unfound any Ns affiliate on 1510. The NBC Sports Radio website is a mess. Station finder runs by program, so at this hour it would be: ``Up Late with Jason Page``, M-F 1-6 am ET, presumably meaning Tue-Sat, since weekend listings start at 6 am, not midnite! Then you have to search state by state. I check MO, TX, and all the other possibilities roughly NE/SW of here, and nothing. I do see however, a lot of nonsense, such as a Topeka in Wisconsin, and a Boise in some state other than Idaho! No frequencies ever indicated. Rather than a full affiliate list on one page, since stations affil with other nets may pick and choose only certain NBCSR shows to air (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660-AM, Aug 26 at 0534 UT, very poor signal, but enough to make out some bits of music now; can`t tell if it`s gospel, as to be expected from KGLD 1330 Tyler TX second harmonic, which I did ID a couple years ago. Re-IDing it will be tough, but the noise level was lower tonight. It`s non-direxional, 1000 watts day, 77 watts night, 500 watts PSRA, and if really being heard on a fraxion of night power now, would have a better chance around SR/SS with step up to day or PSRA power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---