Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 11-19

Richard,

<<<ÂÂ While you are probably correct about the TP DX season ending early
this fall, deep down I hope you are wrong. ÂIt has never really started
here in heartland. ÂI listened on 1566 and 1593 this morning hearing
not a trace of a signal.ÂÂ >>>

Well, considering the lackluster Asian signals that have prevailed here on the west coast since September 1st, the amazing thing to me is that you were able to receive any TP audio at all in Oklahoma. Nobody else so far inland (with the possible exception of Nigel, with his large external antenna) has had anyÂreal TP-DXing success this season, either. Even here on the west coast many of the TP-DXing "regulars" seem to haveÂwritten off the season already. Nick and I both had recent trips to Grayland-- which may have renewed our hobby interest just enoughÂto chase wispy big gun TP audio at home for a little while longer :-)Â

<<<ÂÂ If you get a chance give us a brief summary of how the 15-inch FSL
compares with the smaller ones.ÂÂ >>>

One thing is for sure, Richard-- even a 24" FSL would not be able to transform a dreary TP-DXing season into a productive one!

Anyway, your 8" FSL has the new dual coil system, whichÂprovides a major improvement over all single coil FSL's inÂmiddle and high band sensitivity (including the 12" FSL model, which I used for last season's TP-DXing here in Puyallup). The 15"Âdual coil FSL antennaÂis slightly more sensitive, but not to the extent that it would receive many more DX stations that your 8" FSL model would. It simply would provide a better signal level on the DX stations thatÂit does receive. In TP-DXing, the level of Asian (or DU) propagation is the primary factor in success-- and the size of the FSL antenna (or any antenna) simply determines how much of the propagation can be used to your DXing advantage. Of course if you can set up your antennaÂat a known propagation hot spot like one of the OregonÂcliffs, you can tap into a higher level of propagation-- regardless of the size of your antenna. Some of the strongest New Zealand AM-DXing recordings I've ever heard were made in July of 2012 at Cape Perpetua with a simple, single coil 8" FSL. It just happened to tap into some phenomenal Kiwi propagation, which made 2 and 2.5 kW stations like 765-Radio Kahungunu and 828-Radio Trackside sound like local pests.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)Â

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

While you are probably correct about the TP DX season ending early
this fall, deep down I hope you are wrong. ÂIt has never really started
here in heartland. ÂI listened on 1566 and 1593 this morning hearing
not a trace of a signal. ÂLast evening I was listening to WGN 720 when
its signal suddenly died, around 0545 UTC, covered up by an unidentified
Mexican (probably XEDE) for about 15 minutes. ÂBy this morning things
appeared to back to normal with CBW, CKOM and CKRM are coming
through as usual.

If you get a chance give us a brief summary of how the 15-inch FSL
compares with the smaller ones.

Good DX.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA.