[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK August 16-22, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK August 16-22, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 650, August 19 at 0558 UT, I null WSM as something else is usually audible, like XETNT or KGAB, but now it`s a calendar into October of various music festivals in Saskatoon, plugging ticket sales now, ergo: CKAM, 10/10 kW. Night pattern is supposed to employ a deep null toward the south, everything going northward; unbelievable. Apparently I have not logged this one before. Countless Canadians ignore night pattern requirements: good for south-of-border DXers, bad for US stations entitled to protexion (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1683, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 860, August 21 at 0615 UT, torch song in English is overriding KKOW and making quite a SAH, then segué to jazz. Close to same direxion as KKOW, and strongly suspect CJBC Toronto, altho I couldn`t listen long enough to hear any French to clinch it. So they are allowed an occasional song in English? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=======================

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, August 16 at 1241 UT, KOKP Perry is again off the air, audiblizing weak Spanish music, no doubt KMMQ Nebraska still skywaving (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, August 16 at 1240 UT, as usual no signal from KEOR Catoosa/Tulsa/Sperry, which as a daytimer is entitled to start in August at 1145 UT (September: 1200), just a trace of KMOX. I have yet to discover when KEOR axually signs on, so I sit in wait for it at 1300 --- still nothing. I wait and wait. A few seconds before *1311 carrier finally kicks on, no announcement heard, but into praise music in Spanish. I suppose the odd time may well vary from day to day until they get around to it.

FCC shows this is now licensed for 10 kW daytime, 7 kW critical hours (whatever that means in this case, presumably depending on KMOX), but it sure doesn`t sound any stronger than when it was originally 2 kW. Official sunset times: 0115 UT in August, 0030 in September. Slogan Radio Victoria not reheard lately, but presumably still applies (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1683, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1640, Aug 21 around 1245 UT, KOAG Enid as always with big hum/buzz, during all-Ag programming; exacerbated when trying to null it, similar situation to KGWA 960, unrelated station, which later got rid of that. Willis Monk and Paul B Walker recently reported that WTNI is off the air due to power problems at the site, so instead of its 10 kW day power at night, Biloxites and many others might now be hearing KOAG, which is unusually for an X-bander, direxional NNW/SSE to cover both Enid and OKC from site between them east of Hennessey; without WTNI to block it, KOAG might even enter Latin America (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1683, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 550, August 17 at 0402 UT trying for the WDEV Vermont DX test, not expecting to hear it way out here. I did find a ``sweet spot`` inside the house where on the portable DX-398 I could null out the local noise, and still aim toward Vermont. First heard something in Spanish, and then somestation with ABC news in English, gave up at 0407 which I later learned may have been a bit too early from the time the test really ran (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, UT Mon Aug 19 at 0501, finding the usual stuff during the 960 KGWA Fox-hole, I punch in 690 for KGGF Coffeyville KS closing: no Taps is playing but instead soul version of ``America the Beautiful``; then, just before 0504, sign-off message, followed by Taps a bit later than usual. Perhaps a Sunday-night variation? Carrier still on at 0556 check, presumably all-night.

Could have been the famous version by Ray Charles, but when I go to one clip with his name on it, instead well sung by Army Staff Sergeant Randall Wright in Ray Charles` style:
http://www.last.fm/music/Ray+Charles/_/America+The+Beautiful
Evidently a military Xmas concert sponsored by WRMB
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Aug 21 at 1248 UT, KKOB Albuquerque NM with traffic, weather, news headlines before back to local talk show; weak but steady, as now making post-sunrise appearance once on 50 kW, ND day pattern before skywave outfades. KKOB August SR/SS times are 1230/0200 UT; September, 1245/0115 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Aug 21 at 1259 UT, ``In My Eyes`` song runs past hourtop, 1301 ID as KWRP Pueblo, a translator, and KCMN Colorado Springs, ``I-25 Radio``. KWRP is 250 watts on 690, the translator is K262BB on 100.3, and I am hearing KCMN on 1530, 15 kW with AC/Oldies format per last years`s NRC AM Log; soon fades out. The translator is 250 watts, licensed to Boone, site SE of Pueblo at 1700m AMSL, but only 193m AAT per FCC FM Query (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)