Re: [IRCA] PEI DXing. was: Re: Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-31

I would tend to agree with Chuck that when you are on the coast, the direct water paths to the target areas are more important than ground conductivity. Conductivity is good, but, Gary DeBock's cliffside (rocks) listening with ultralights would tend to support the importance of a clear shot across the water even without Beveridges.

John

From: "Chuck" <charlesh3@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 8:52 PM
To: "Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [IRCA] PEI DXing. was: Re: Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-31

On 11/5/2012 10:38 AM, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
I think PEI has the inside edge to a lot of DX, Gary. We were on the northern shore of Howe Bay, with a good water path to South America, but in fact there was a bit of a land path to much of northern Europe and the Middle East, and certainly to Asia, yet heard some amazing signals. I suspect that mucky red soil is fairly conductive, but still. And the antennas used were corner fed loops and an ALA100, suburban yard antennas.

best wishes,

Nick

Newfoundland is a bunch of rocks with a thin topsoil layer yet it seems to be an OK place for DX, right? So I'm not so sure that soil type is very important for Beverages and loops.

Chuck