 From: Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; am@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:41 PM
Subject: [IRCA] KSWB's signal strength

For the first time than I can ever remember, local KSWB 840 running 500w
at night has stations under them off the SW EWE. I have never heard
anything under them with the SW EWE, unless I phased them. The S Meter
reading eem a hair lower too.  The Eastern Beverage, NW or NE EWE's yes,
but never the SW EWE, at 8.9 miles. They have always been rock solid
24/7. But I have noticed over te past couple of years, all three of the
Clatsop County AMers are weaker here. KAST 1370, my closest at 5.3 miles
does not sound like 1 KW. Off the Eastern beverage Butte MT tops them
most nights without even trying. KVAS 1230 at 7 miles always has someone
under them at night. But all seem to be getting weaker, but everything
else is normal. I am not complaining, but it is interesting. It doesn't
matter what radio or receiver I use either. I have an idea the old
ground systems the stations have are getting in poor shape. Both Astoria
stations has theirs in Youngs Bay and KSWB in a swampy field.  I think
KAST replaced theirs 30+ years ago, but the others, I am sure they
haven't. KVAS is 62 years and KSWB is 44 years.  It may be conditions,
but I have never noticed it before like this.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR