Re: [IRCA] (OT) Spam

At my various clients, I have somewhere over a hundred computers to maintain. Viruses show up primarily from someone clicking on infected email, or going to a dangerous web site. Other computers have been infected from outside by a malware that invaded that computer which had no antivirus program. When a decent antivirus program suce as McAfee, Symantec or Panda is installed and kept current, very rarely is that infected. Other things that really help are better quality routers such as Sonicwall TZ-210. While it is somewhat expensive on a yearly basis, it does seem to prevent the invasions.

When I have to deal with an infected computer, I usually will restart using a Linux-based Knoppix CD to work on it. Can't infect a CD.

Doing a backup to a separate storage does help a lot, and having an antivirus program scan the infected hard drive separately on a different computer also helps recover it.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI