[IRCA] DXpedition to Lubec, Maine

Just before Thanksgiving - Nov. 19-21, 2011 - I visited a place called Quoddy House [QH] , near Lubec, Maine.

<http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=44.818103,-66.962673&daddr=Lubec,+ME&hl=en&sll=44.818415,-66.961284&sspn=0.004262,0.005858&geocode=%3BCbSYNi_zaYofFdp8rAIdWekB_CkXSThZL76oTDHKeE5lpgUmwQ&vpsrc=0&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=18&t=h&z=18>

I learned of it from a DXpedition report from Dallas Lankford.  I would link his excellent report here but I no longer have access to Dallas's personal Yahoo group.  I've been banned.

If you can't get all the way to Newfoundland, Quoddy Head is about the next best thing.

For an antenna I used a distant relative of a flag array designed by Neil Kazaross.  We've dubbed it the doubleKAZ and 2 of them look like this:

<http://realmonitor.com/tworidges/2xdoubleKAZ.pdf>

I used a terminating resistance [Rt] of 1000 Ohms and Wellbrook FLG100s and a Wellbrook phaser for the impedance & phasing parts of the antenna.

The 2 x doubleKAZ was pointed at about 30 degrees from true North ... which is not exactly where I thought it was but as it turned out was an optimal direction for what I heard.

I don't keep written logs but instead go through my Perseus top-of-hour [TOH] recordings and make a webpage with sound samples.

You can see and hear what I heard by going here:

<http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_QH.php>

Besides the plethora of TAs that I can't hear at home I was fortunate enough to hear China on 1521 and Alaska on 1170kHz.

I hope to get back to Quoddy House again next year!

Bill Whitacre
Alexandria, VA