[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, December 18-26, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, December 18-26, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** CANADA. 990, Dec 25 at 0630, CBW Winnipeg is playing Satchmo`s Santa Claus song, quite a contrast to 1000 KTOK OKC with Handel`s Messiah. CBW is our only regularly listenable Canadian here, often dominant from before sunset to after sunrise, but the channel is hardly `clear` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Dec 22 at 0050 UT on the caradio I am surprised to hear something in Spanish here vs the IBOC noise from KATZ-1600. Unfortunately, I am in no position to DF it. Woman speaking, seems to be giving local addresses, thought I heard Monterrey mentioned, then a few seconds of ``Jingle Bells Rock``, mentions 8 de la noche. I was hoping for XEUACH, R. Chapingo, but it`s not yet 7 pm there and here, if that was a partial before-the-hour timecheck. So was it from EST zone? That would be CHHA Toronto, Radio Voces Latinas, which is listed as Spanish + ethnic format. It`s more likely to be heard anyway, about same distance but much greater power, altho also a rarity here. Then it lost out to the IBOC.

Program grid at
http://www.sanlorenzo.ca/espanol/Program_Schedule.html
shows the weekday 7-8 pm program is `Panorama` which could be in any tongue! The have quite a lineup of languages, UT: 0100 English, 0200 Portuguese, 0300 Tagalog, 0400 Italian, 0500+ Spanish. Also in the afternoons at 19-21 UT M-F there are 20 half-hour shows each named for a different Ibero-American country, and they do webcast via http://www.voceslatinas.ca (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Dec 25 at 0615 jingle and ID in English ``You`re listening to 1610 AM --- Radio Voces Latinas``, onward with music in Spanish, i.e. CHHA Toronto. Was KATZ 1600 IBOC noise off? Probably just in a lucky fade, as IBOC peaking 1613 was certainly bothering CHHA at 0640 recheck (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Since I am awake before 0700 Dec 23, I look for Mexican national anthems on MW probably from the UT-7 zone:

710, Dec 23 at 0655 UT, choral anthem is underway; 0657 fanfare and then super-patriotic speech about the flag, but fading by 0700. It had been well audible in null of Cuba, probably from SW/WSW direxion, likely XEDP in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, a regular around sunrise too, but there are two other MST stations in Sinaloa and Sonora, per new IRCA Mexican Log.

850, Dec 23 at 0656 UT, multiverse choral NA past 0658, 0701 finally ID as 5 kW from Chihuahua, i.e. XEM. Was easy to null attenuated KOA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise logs Dec 25, UT:

710, Dec 25 at 1320 UT, PSA calling for denouncing delinquency to the (federal) army with phone numbers, complicated e-mail address, also mentions Chihuahua and Cuauhtémoc, so one more time for XEDP.

760, Dec 25 at 1325 promos for station website, 1326 ID in passing as R. Geny, live timecheck for 6:22: not exactly. Is XENY in Nogales, Sonora, not likely on nite power of 100 watts vs day power 5000.

850, Dec 25 at 1311 UT, NA is playing at odd time, 1312 sign-on for XHHM on FM and XEM 850 Chihuahua, right into ``Put Your Head On My Shoulder`` song in English. This is R. Renacimiento per Cantú but did not hear that name, and confirms their FM is XHHM on 103.7. KOA easily nulled again from roughly 90 degrees away.

1040, Dec 25 at 1330 UT, PSAs for IFE, 1332 singing ID for 104.1 Radio Fiesta(?). Nulling what there is of WHO, I expected the usual Guaymas or Chihuahua, but the 104.1 match fits for XEGR in Jalapa, Veracruz, listed as OK Radio by IRCA, WRTH and Cantú. I still suspect it was not XEGR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Xmas causes lots of anomalous programming, even news/talk format stations going musical, such as 1000 KTOK OKC, Dec 25 at 0627 playing Handel`s Messiah – the whole thing? Replacing `Coast to Coast`. Contrast with CBW on 990, see CANADA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, my local KGWA Enid, Sunday Dec 25 at 1306 UT in `Cowboy Corner` with Red Steagall, nationally syndicated show I have run across on various stations, but not KGWA. His affiliate list http://www.cowboycorner.com/stations.html shows instead KGWA`s FM side, KOFM 103.1, Sundays at 7 am. Maybe they were unusually simulcasting for the holiday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENIG DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Dec 25 at 1317 UT, Spanish is way over WGN, but it`s not XE. SHVA [super-hype voice actor] exclaims ``104.1 FM y 720 AM, Norteña, La Raza`` which chex as KSAH San Antonio (COL Universal City).

770, Dec 25 at 1327, ABC report about the Arab Spring, likely yearender on `Perspective` as long scheduled on KKOB Albuquerque for 6-7 am Sundays, but far before sunrise during null toward NYC and me, may well be the co-channel non-direxional 230-watt relay in Santa Fe which is on the air only at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search Dec 23 around 1348 UT local sunrise here: very weak ones detectable on 972, 792, 774, 747 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Dec 23 as early as 2108 UT, something skywave besides KOKC is audible by deeply nulling its 50 kW groundwave. Sounds like country music, or maybe Xmas music, which could be anything breaking nominal format (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)