Re: [IRCA] Local Radio Is Getting Tuned Out.

Re: [IRCA] Local Radio Is Getting Tuned Out.

Steve

Happened to catch KWBG while spending some time in NW Iowa a couple of
weeks back; and agree that they do a nice job.
So do a bunch of others in that part of IA including Kcim(1380 Carroll,
available via the web at www.1380kcim.com) and the farm station KMA at
960.
But here is part of the key here:  there is not only a need but local
advertisers must step up to the plate and be willing to pay the freight.
So it is because that all things come together, for the 3 stations we have
listed, that it comes off this way.
And, there is another nice thing going on in Iowa:  great daytime ground
conductivity which allows, even a 1,000watt station, an opportunity to
have a broad listening area.

I listen to more and more of my radio via pc.  Even local radio.  Why,
well, I can combine this quite easily as I go through email, watch
financial markets throughout the day, go through blogs, newspapers and all
the rest of the things that make up my info and entertainment wants and
needs.
And more and more folks are doing that very same things through their
mobile phones and devices.  There may be some signals that get more of
their listeners through these alternate means rather than the original
signal which may be plagued with poor coverage, static and the other
vagueries that plague over-the-air radio.

And what's even nicer is that my listening habits can more or less be the
same regardless of where I am or the show host is.

So while we can and do bemoan many of the changes, we are better off for
it.  And the smart people with a bit of ingenuity may be able to better
thrive with it.
Say, for example, you are an oldtime radio guy that may have been a dj
playing music few people really care about any more and your station went
talk.
Or say you are a sports team or school that can no longer get your games
cleared on that 500watt station that no one at night could pick up anyway.
Well, get yourself on the net, find someone such as advertisers to pick up
the bills, and you can get those games or music heard not only in your
backyard but around the world and not subject to finding a station to pick
you up.

I really believe that great opportunity ultimately exists in that arena,
and young talented broadcasters such as Paul Walker will ultimately thrive
in it.  Yes, they now will have to learn how to sell and recruit; but once
they do that, they will have greater control of what they do and, in some
instances, can do it from almost anywhere.

Bible study has torn my life apart and remade it. That is to say that God,
through his Word, has done so.
--  Derek Tidball, author  of "The Message of Holiness: Restoring God's
Masterpiece"