From: "Craig Healy" <bubba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:32:43
Subject: Re: [IRCA] 30 years of skywave DXing

Nice stories about how some folks began DXing!  Thanks!

I did a fair bit of it in the early 60's.  Got a number of QSLs.  But my
first DX was around 1955.  As a kid I used to tune my grandmother's 5-tube
radio to find programs like Fibber McGee & Molly or Amos & Andy.  One night
I heard a station say "And it's 7pm.."  Our clock said 8pm.  I thought he
made a mistake but he continued and said "...in Chicago".  Chicago??  Well,
I knew where the grocery store was, and maybe the next town, but Chicago?  I
asked later and they said it was many miles away.  At that point radio
seemed like magic and I continued to tune around with a different attitude.

In the later 50's I used a radio in my room, another 5-tube GE type.  Didn't
realize that the loop antenna on the back was directional.  The local 1110
daytimer had Top-40 music I liked, but WBT in North Carolina would come in a
while before sunset and block it.  Didn't realize all I had to do was turn
the radio a bit and stop nulling the local station...

And somewhat later I pulled a Stewart Warner radio out of a 1953 Studebaker
and figured out how to run it off a 6.3v filament transformer.  Got all
sorts of things on that.  Running antenna wires in the room used to drive my
mother mildly insane.  I also used some thin stainless steel wire for a long
wire outside antenna that didn't work at all.  If I only had realized
stainless steel was quite lossy.

Imagine if Doc Brown in "Back To The Future" had brought me a Drake R8B and
loop antenna in 1955.  Or brought ME back to 1955.  Imagine the DX with
today's experience!

Craig Healy
Providence, RI