Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 30 years of skywave DXing

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 30 years of skywave DXing

I was in 6th or 7th grade in Cromwell, CT and the first ever "DX Catch" I
made from home was 1020 KDKA pittsburgh. Not a big feat for most, but for a
pre-teen who was just beginning to understand radio, this was a big deal!
The first "DX Catch" I got in a car was a few weeks later while riding in
the car with my mom and got 1190 WOWO Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Both signals were pretty loud and rock solid.
Almost 100 percent of my DX is AM, I never do TV and very very rarely DX
FM.. I only get an FM DX Catch by accident.

The hearing of distant signals was part of the reason I became interested in
working in radio!

A few months later, my Uncle came by my house and gave me a real nice 1950s
table top radio and spent the afternoon with me installing wires and an
insulator from my bedroom radio to a tree about 75 feet away! I picked up
Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Richmond, Pittsburgh, Louisville.... with pretty
good regularity and a good signal.

..And after 6 years, I am still in the business.. on the air, being local
and having fun!

Paul Walker
www.onairdj.com
www.facebook.com/onairdj