From: "Doug Martin" <martin-doug@xxxxxxx>
Sender: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:29:23
Subject: Re: [IRCA] OFF TOPIC: Honolulu Band Scan

On Oahu, where I lived for nine years, I was surprised by how much
conditions were dictated by the topography.  Around Waikiki, but away from
electrical interference, I was able to log Pacific Islands and Australia,
though they were almost never heard on the windward side of the island.  On
the windward side, Kaneohe and Kahalu'u, I easily heard the U.S. west coast
and some of the Asian powerhouses, like Japan on 747 and 774 and the FEBC
station from South Korea.  Before sunrise, on the windward side, I logged
over 20 Alaskans, which were never heard on the south coast.  On the north
shore, I heard a bit of everything, because the mountains blocked signals
from the southeast.  I never really listened on the east side of the island,
around Kahala and Hawaiikai, but Dale Park gave me dx reports from there,
hearing only the U.S. mainland and a few Pacific islands.  He heard the
Marshall Islands on 1098, but the only time I heard this one was when I was
with Dale.
The best dx I ever had in Hawaii was from the center of the island Lana'i.
There was a motel there, and I was able to hear everything, from everywhere
from that highest point on Lana'i.
Aloha,
Doug Martin