Re: [IRCA] Testing New SDR software

You've done a great job of characterizing several of the "down" sides of
SDR's, Barry. I've fallen into the trap of recording the band here at home
far too many times and, now that I've filled several hard drives with
Perseus recordings, I'm reluctant to throw them away in case there might be
a hidden gem or a great opening buried somewhere in the terabytes of data.
And, I do find myself sometimes losing track of time as I step through 100+
TOH's from a single 2-minute wide band recording. But then again, I was
doing single-channel audio recordings like you and Russ for years prior to
getting an SDR and have several gigabytes of un-reviewed MP3 files, too. I
keep telling myself I'll get to them all someday when I'm retired :-)

I also found that I seldom used my phaser after getting an SDR - I was
afraid of screwing up the wideband reception - which I truly believe was a
step backwards. I'll have to train myself to start using it again, even if
it means dedicating another radio to phasing, since some of my best
receptions were as a result of the phaser.

For me, though, there have been two key benefits of the SDR: (1) the ability
to record some outstanding conditions at DXpeditions, the summer beach
house, or even a nearby location using a beverage antenna and listening to
them later at my leisure, and (2) the ability to "visualize" the conditions
on the band (signal strength, modulation, IBOC/interference, multiple
carriers, etc.) that were just theoretical in my mind prior to the waterfall
display of an SDR. I feel as though I have a greater understanding of what's
taking place now that I can both hear and see the station's signal.

I guess the real indication of the impact of SDRs on me has been how seldom
I listen to my "regular" receiver since getting the Perseus - other than
taking it out of the box once or twice a year for a DXpedition, the Drake
spends most of its time in a box in the basement. It makes me sad that my
regular radio isn't used much anymore, and I may end up selling it, but I
never see myself turning away from the SDR path in the future,

Brett Saylor