Re: [IRCA] Testing New SDR software

Unless we're still talking about tube gear, I'm past the tinkerer stage <g>.

I understand and agree that SDR's are very likely the future, and I have no problem with that conceptually. After all, over the past 5-6 years, probably 90% of my BCB DX outside of the LBI DXpeditions has been via unattended recordings. Not only that, this past season probably 75% of my FM DX was via unattended recordings because so many E-skip openings occurred during working hours.

But the SDR poses two problems for me - first, obviously, is cost. I'm nearing retirement, and the economy being what it is, I don't know either how long I'll be able to work nor what the investment scene will hold, so I'm not looking to spend $850 or $1000 for an SDR and then add whatever an external drive may cost. The second is that with all of that recording capacity, one could record one night when conditions were good and have enough material to last several months before completing - during which time you either might miss a better opening, or worse yet never get to listen to it all.

I find that I have trouble now reviewing the results of three sets of unattended recording for an FM E-skip session of perhaps 4 hours' duration. I can't even think about having an SDR! But I also have to wonder if I'll be able to use conventional receivers of any type for that many more years either without permanent breakdowns. It's a major dilemma, for sure.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>