Re: [IRCA] Cable connectors

Craig: Shielded cable is the norm in Europe but is not so
popular here in the US. Even so, you'll always find some
on eBay.

I'll have to do a search. I really haven't done a lot of looking recently. I did find that shielded CAT cable often was significantly more expensive. And the jacks/plugs much harder to find and install.

If you're in a testing mood, it would be good to try some
CAT6 (better crosstalk specs) and CAT7 (shielded pairs
and shielded bundle, with even better crosstalk) if you
can find some that is cheap.

I have a bunch of CAT6 cable left over from a job. I'll roll out a 150' length and do a direct comparison to the CAT5. At lower (LW, MW) frequencies it may or may not be an improvement. The shielded cable on the other hand may well be, if grounds for the ends can be made and be effective.

Yet another thing I've been looking for is a converter to send video over fiber optic cable. I'd connect the antenna output directly to the video input via an amp. Should be good for up to 1 volt peak signal. If the bandwidth and noise floor is acceptable, then fiber optic cable will completely eliminate any signal ingress short of a vandal with a flashlight. (grin) I vaguely remember seeing such a thing that was basically an LED at the transmit end and a light sensitive transistor on the receive side. Buffer them with the right amps and it may well work. I think fiber optic audio cable can be found, though I don't know offhand the available lengths. Video and MW is compatible. Back in the 80's I set up a VCR and it recorded about a quarter or third of the AM band. Sort of an ancient version of a Perseus recording. The frequency bandwidth was only limited by the available amp and tuner. Worked OK, but the frequency wasn't all that stable. Could listen on AM, but not via sideband.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI