Re: [IRCA] Cable connectors

I agree with Craig - CAT5 has spec values for crosstalk that have to be met from 1 MHZ up to 1 GHZ. At 1 MHZ, I think it is fair to expect at least 40 dB of attenuation.

Craig: Shielded cable is the norm in Europe but is not so popular here in the US. Even so, you'll always find some on eBay.
If you're in a testing mood, it would be good to try some CAT6 (better crosstalk specs) and CAT7 (shielded pairs and shielded bundle, with even better crosstalk) if you can find some that is cheap.

Chuck

Rick wrote:
> > The problem with any balanced feedline is always line-balance. Since the
> > electric and magnetic field of the signals extends outside the physical
> > area of
> > the twisted pair, there will always be interaction between pairs within a
> > CAT
> > type cable. You would need far more spacing between pairs than is
> > available in
> > the CAT cable design to prevent interaction between pairs.

And Craig replied: