Re: [IRCA] Ground Resistance (A further question)

At 16:40 3/12/2009, you wrote:

>Hello Tom
>I did not appreciate copper pipe of different lengths gives lower resistance. 10 footers are a none starter here. Would 3 x 3 foot copper ground rods be around 10 Ohms or are the mathematics not as simple as that? I use a EWE antenna where grounding is all important by all accounts.
>Barry

Patrick Martin will give you the answer on that, Barry.

One problem with these ohmic measurements, I believe, is that they're applicable primarily to power line frequencies (that's what the B&K measures), and in some circumstances you may be better off when dealing with RF to use three or more shorter ground rods spaced out and wired together.    I suspect the really deep rods only make sense if you have a soil that dries out easily at the surface (usually sandy soil, which is generally easy to drive rods into).

I believe that I have an article or two on the subject kicking around here.

best wishes,

Nick