Re: [IRCA] DTV on the radio

kj8o@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thx Scott,

I'll try to listen. And talking about perplexed, a year ago, I had a QSO with a broadcast engineer ham who swore up and down that Feb 17 2009 was going to be the date. I understand that he was talking from the information that he had available at the time, but this doesn't make it any less confusing.

If you'd asked me three weeks ago, I'd have told you the exact same thing - the 2/17/09 date was written into Federal law, after all. Politics have a way of changing things, though, often at the last second, and that's what happened here.

Here in the Metro Detroit market, two of the smaller stations (20 and 31)
supposedly turned off their analog signals today, but the major stations (2, 4 & 7) will continue for the foreseeable future. I haven't heard about channels 50 or 56 yet.

The full list from the FCC is here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-288530A2.pdf

Stations in red have gone digital-only already or will do so by the end of the day today. That accounts for more than 600 stations, or about 36% of the total. Everyone else now has until June 12, and I don't see that date slipping again.

In the Detroit market, only 20 and 31 received permission from the FCC to flip early. Everyone else, including 50 and 56 (and 38 and 62) stays on until June.