[IRCA] Corner fed loop: was TP for 24 Jan from Victoria, BC

At 19:35 1/24/2009, you wrote:

>Ahh...this reminds me of an antenna email you sent me a while back. I have modelled both superloops (cornerfed flags) and conventional flags with EZNEC and according to EZNEC height has very little effect on the patterns. Of course it effects the gain since it means a larger antenna. Bruce Conti's DX using his superloops is extraordinary, IMHO considering his QTH is somewhat inland and that his bearings to the coast to Eur-asia are quite far from the Atlantic, and to me this indicates a really good antenna system.
>
>What might be happening at your sunrise is some tilt in arrival angles and a different response at those angles from the two antennas.
>
>If your domestic rejection isn't so good with the corner-fed loop, perhaps some adjustment of termination would help or just phase it vs the flag ?

Actually the corner fed loop has a vactrol adjustable termination, Neil, so I'm always trying to minimize splash as I listen.   But with the Flag, the front to back ratio seems to be  broader and deeper overall, meaning that listening is less troubled by splatter at most settings of the termination; it's not a matter of fine tuning it, and I often leave it at a general setting unless I'm really working at digging something out.

I've used EZNEC a bit (I'm no expert, mind you), and found that I can't really verify what I've observed in real life with different sized corner fed loops.   If you can, I'd love to find out how it's done.

best wishes,

Nick