[IRCA] TP for 24 Jan from Victoria, BC

I'm not sure I can agree with Bill and Dennis' estimate of this morning's DX; I listened pretty continuously from 1400 to 1550UT, and there were more (and stronger) signals than I knew what to do with (see below).  The upper band may have been down a bit from yesterday, but the lower band more than compensated.

One variant however is that I was using a different antenna than usual.  Some time ago I haywired a WNW 23' x 33'  corner fed loop to try and get some percentage of what Walt Salmaniw hears with his larger corner fed loops (height matters if you ever build one of these, and I don't have the convenient tall trees that Walt does).  There's more raw signal with it than the Flags, but it doesn't have as good rejection of domestics, so it tends not to deliver the DX any better than the Flags.  However, this morning for some reason it was just roaring with signals while the Flag in a similar direction was relatively subdued.  The corner fed loop still delivered a fair bit of splash, but the DX had more punch; the splashiness might explain why my perception was that there were a lot of strong carriers that should have been delivering audio and weren't.    That disparity continued until about 1540UT, when the two antennas quickly returned to their previous more normal characteristic!
 s.   Put that into my "I'll never understand antennas" file.

pretty darn good audio (at least briefly):

279 R. Rossii at 1514UT
594 JOAK
639 CNR1 //5030 at 1431
774 JOUB
828 JOBB
972 HLCA at 1544UT, KK talk by man
1566 HLAZ barely making it into this category at 1542UT ;  monster carrier as usual, but audio doesn't appear until later

reasonable audio  at  times during the period (though often battling w/splash or noise):

189 R. Rossii //279
531 JOQG //594 at 1455UT; this gains readability by being a splatter free channel
558 HLQH at 1534UT //603; this was probably JOCR earlier when not //603
567 JOIK at 1402 //594
603 HLSA building in strength from 1500 to peak around 1530UT; two stations quite weak before 1500 though
648 presumed VoR briefly at 1412 and didn't return
747 JOIB

not so reasonable audio, occasional words in splash or noise:

585 JOPG //594 at 1409UT
657 at various times, but mostly a big hum on the channel
873 JOGB at 1438UT
936 likely Anhui at 1438
1017 at 1445; wasn't China, possibly NHK2 but faded before could snag a parallel
1287 JOHR
1575 VoA w/woman in SE Asian language 1508; something else came up also, and there was something
about 150Hz low on the channel as well.

Burbles in the splatter and noise:

153 R. Rossii //279 at 1403
621 ? at 1432
666 JOBK  //594 at 1419UT
945 woman talking in splash with echo? at 1442UT; not CNR1 or NHK1
1044 likely CRI at 1423UT, but not up long enough for a parallel
1134 various times, but too much splash for much audio even on the Flag
1206 likely Yanbian, big carrier and hum at 1443UT
1242 various times, likely Japan?
1269 Japan?  at 1422; big carrier
1278 China?  at 1425
1305 likely HLSV at 1447UT
1314 possibly Japan at 1541UT
1377 CNR1 //5030; big carrier almost sounded like somebody with an OC on channel as well
1593 various times, too much splash for a //

Strongish het, no audio (either undermodulated or ravaged by splatter): lots; unusual were 738 which looped to Tahiti, and 1107 which had a big hum on the channel as well.

best wishes,

Nick