Re: [IRCA] Citizenship (OT)

ese rule. One other comment about something you said, Patrick. You wrote of Americans moving to Canada and keeping both citizenships. You mentioned that it was because the US would not allow them to give up the US citizenship. I don't think this is true. Basically, holding 2 passports allows a person to use whichever is most convenient or advantageous at the time. For example, if I'm returning to Canada it's much easier to whip out my Canadian passport.....touch wood, I never have any problems crossing, and it's quick and easy (Welcome Home). Now if I also had an American passport, then when I travel south, I'd likely want to use it. The Americans always grill me a lot more presumably since I'm not an American. Likewise, if I had dual citizenship, travel to Cuba, for instance is really easy for a Canadian, but not so for you guys down there. .........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria,BC.

I have dual citizenship and do just that when I travel stateside - use my American passport when entering the US, and my Canadian passport when returning to Canada. Unless you do something really stupid that will get you some hard time in Gitmo, like moving to Pakistan and joining Al-Qaeda, it's very difficult for a native-born American to renounce US citizenship. Lee Harvey Oswald tried to do it when he was living in Russia circa 1961.

To keep this thread at least slightly broadcast-related -- a song does not have to be sung by a Canadian citizen to qualify as CanCon (Canadian Content per CRTC regulations in effect since the early 1970s), as long as the words and music were written by a Canadian or the song was recorded in Canada.

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON