Re: [IRCA] Citizenship (OT)

At 11:38 PM 5/31/2008, you wrote:
>Walt,
>
> Then why has it been s easy to move from India to Canada? I remember
>going to Vancouver in the early 70s and Kingsway Street in Vancouver had
>many motels, all owned my Canadians. By the 80s, most were owned by
>people from India. I always felt that being a Commonwealth nation,
>connected to the UK, it was easy to move from one Commonwealth nation to
>another. Infact I was told that by a Canadian (who wasn't happy about
>it, by the way).
>
>Patrick
>
>Patrick Martin
>KGED QSL Manager

Well, it's not.  What we get into are the various streams of entering Canada.  3 basically.  One is to claim refugee status.  Perhaps a few from India claimed this, but not many, since chances of being accepted would not be high (one has to prove that one would be in danger if he/she returned to his country of origin.  India, being a democracy, would not qualify, although I do recall a number of years ago that some did, owing to the violence at that time in the Punjab.  The second stream is family reunification.  This is the way, I believe, that many Indians came to Canada.  Basically the first person comes along with or without his family.  After settling, he applies to bring other family members over, and so on.  The final way is the "normal" way.  That is, one applies from his/her country of origin and is assessed by a point system which includes knowledge or English/French (being from the Commonwealth, where most people are Anglophones obviously would be an advantage her!
 e), job skills (especially if one's skills are required in Canada), education, age, etc.  If one scores high enough, he's given the OK to move to Canada.  Each country/region in the world has a quota of numbers and I guess this is followed to maintain the harmony of our multicultural society.  One hears about the refugee claimants most often.  Scams do occur from time to time.  I can think of several.  First were the boat people from China.  They paid big $$ to gain passage on old rickety boats that brought them secretly to our shores.  If caught, they were all instructed to say that they were Christians, for example, and would suffer persecution if returned.  Another scam involved Gypsies from Czechia (I think) who came to Canada in droves until we started requiring visas from that country.  Oh, just thought of another stream, and that's the business class.  Basically if one has the $$$ and promises to invest in Canada/open a business, than that can be another route in.  T!
 his was done a lot by people from Hong Kong before it reverted to Chin
ese rule.  One other comment about something you said, Patrick.  You wrote of Americans moving to Canada and keeping both citizenships.  You mentioned that it was because the US would not allow them to give up the US citizenship.  I don't think this is true.  Basically, holding 2 passports allows a person to use whichever is most convenient or advantageous at the time.  For example, if I'm returning to Canada it's much easier to whip out my Canadian passport.....touch wood, I never have any problems crossing, and it's quick and easy (Welcome Home).  Now if I also had an American passport, then when I travel south, I'd likely want to use it.  The Americans always grill me a lot more presumably since I'm not an American.  Likewise, if I had dual citizenship, travel to Cuba, for instance is really easy for a Canadian, but not so for you guys down there.    .........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria,BC.