[IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DXINGIRCA Digest, Vol 47, Issue 37

[IRCA] ULTRALIGHT DXINGIRCA Digest, Vol 47, Issue 37

Hi Barry;

Yes those 500KW and up xmtrs may plague a few channels but I think for
their size and cost, they will do quite well.  They can null as good as
any radio and maybe on par with loop antennas.  I will put my
hand-me-down SRF-59 up against my full sized Grundig S-350 any day.  The
only radio that I own that is better, in my book, is the one in my
mini-van (2002 Ford Windstar), unfortunately its antenna is quite
omni-directional (maybe I need to mount a box-loop on the roof - the
wife would love that!).

I would check thrift stores and such for these kinds of radios.  I also
DX with Sony cassette Walkman units although they are not technically
ULR's, they seem to have many of the ULR traits.  I think that they are
more widely available on the used market than AM-FM only units.

Good Luck in ULR (and full scale) DX,

Dave in Indianapolis, IN

Message: 4