Re: [IRCA] SRF-59 Alignment Procedure

Hello All,

     Thanks for all your kind comments.

     There are two things that will never be routine  with an SRF-59...
receiving new TP stations, or performing an alignment.   Both are certainly
possible, but both require patience, and may put your  nerves through the wringer.
However, after you successfully accomplish  either one, you have a nice feeling
of having beat the odds!

     Having said that, I cannot recommend the SRF-59  alignment for casual
hobbyists, who simply want to ensure maximum  sensitivity.  The chances of
frustration-overload are way too great, and  even Heathkit-experienced hobbyists
are going to need a huge new dose of  patience.  The alignment last night was
for Bruce B. in Idaho, who has  an SRF-59 that may need replacement because of a
sensitivity issue.   One more alignment has been promised for Dr.Kevin S.,
PhD. the Professor of  SRF-59 Experimentation in Bainbridge Is., WA.  After
that, I think I would  prefer to retire from the "watch repair business," at least
until my nerves are  100% restored.

     Gil, it is true that peaking the lone AM IF  transformer has a
significant effect on sensitivity.  And since it's the  only possible AM adjustment,
what else can you do? (hi)  I'll send you the  Alignment File after it is
smoothly prepared. (why am I not surprised that  nobody else wants to get this file?
hi)

     As for the IF mystery, my Canadian technical  supervisor recommended a
quick search with an ICF-2010 next to an energized  SRF-59, which showed that
the 2010 itself has a self-generated 455 kHz carrier  (on all 3 of my 2010's)
that is unrelated to the SRF-59's proximity (or  on-off status).  I checked
every oscillation from 530 down to the 2010's  lower limit, and none of them
showed any interest in the SRF-59's proximity, or  on-off status.  I also checked
Deane McIntyre's possible 906 kHz IF, and  found nothing in the way of
oscillations on the 2010 (even with the energized  SRF-59 sitting on top of the
2010).  So, despite all the investigation, I'm  sorry that it still seems like a
mystery to me.

     Before the SRF-59 review was published, Nick and I  (and even the QL
engineer Gerry Thomas) had some serious discussion  about what this SRF-59's IF
could be.  If Deane's 906 kHz proves to be  the answer, it would be the first
time any one us have heard of an IF falling in  the middle of the AM band.
Well, it's one more very astonishing  mystery about this very astonishing radio!
Thanks also to Deane  in Calgary for his extremely glowing assessment of the
SRF-59's DX  capabilities.  For the rest of you, it's one more reason to get
on the  thrilling SRF-59 Bandwagon...

                      73 and Good DX,

                     Gary  DeBock  .