[IRCA] The Lean Mean Ultralight DXing Machine, Part II

[IRCA] The Lean Mean Ultralight DXing Machine, Part II

Thinking in terms of the ARRL Field Day, and the worst
conditions that I could impose on the SRF-59, I took
my unit to the Great Lakes Crossing Mall, one of the
largest shopping malls in the Metro Detroit area.

Predictably, I was getting too much QRN to hear any MW
stations, even the strong locals such as WJR and WWJ.

Switching over to the FM band was another story
entirely. Very first station heard was low power WBFH,
88.1, Bloomfield Hills, running 360 watts from a
distance of about 7 miles. The major stations posed no
problems from inside the building, to which I then
tuned to 97.1 WXYT-FM where I was able to enjoy the
Detroit Red Wings Florida Panthers hockey game while
my wife was shopping.

73 de Joe, KJ8O, Troy, MI