Re: [IRCA] My sad HD story continues! (sorry for the OT)

Russ Edmunds wrote:
>  Simply put it's called BACK-UP.

Yep.

Sometimes easier done when the files are small. Multi gigabytes of
recorded audio or other extremely large files requires huge amounts of
backup space on any backup machine. You wind up using more drives to get
less reliability and speed than the preferred RAID solution. RAID isn't
necessarily the best way to backup, especially for small amounts of
data. As you mentioned, multiple backups and off-site backups (which I
also have) are easy enough to do.

But for huge amounts of data, you can't beat the automatic solution of
RAID. On machines that I have here on the work network that have to run
or public safety is in jeopardy, or machines I use for development, or
other high-reliability production machines, virtually all have RAID file
systems. I just don't want to shut the machine down and replace
hardware. With RAID you don't. The machine never stops, just the bad
drive gets replaced.

If I had any data I didn't want to lose, and it was composed of lots of
large files. RAID is the way I'd go.

Rick Kunath