Re: [IRCA] My sad HD story continues! (sorry for the OT)

--- Rick Kunath <k9ao@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Russ Edmunds wrote:
> >  Simply put it's called BACK-UP.
>
> Yep.
>
> Sometimes easier done when the files are small. Multi gigabytes of
> recorded audio or other extremely large files requires huge amounts
> of
> backup space on any backup machine. You wind up using more drives to
> get
> less reliability and speed than the preferred RAID solution. RAID
> isn't
> necessarily the best way to backup, especially for small amounts of
> data. As you mentioned, multiple backups and off-site backups (which
> also have) are easy enough to do.

Most of my files aren't large - usually 1.5 meg or less, whether
they're audio or data. Not a lot of photos, virtually no music. Once
upon a time, I had the luxury of offsite backup, but no longer, except
for maybe some back-up CD's.

Obviously somewhere along the line, I missed out on what exactly this
"RAID" solution you and others are talking about really is, and what
level of expertise one should have to attempt it. But I'd do an awful
lot of manual back-up before I'd spend several hundred dollars for some
of the hardware solutions which have been mentioned.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id