Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Richard Wood has died

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Richard Wood has died

> >>     I just received the sad news from  friend Ginny Boehnke, (wife
of Chuck
> >>Boehnke, who passed 3 years ago), that  Richard Wood of Hawaii died
> >>yesterday of a Heart Attack. He was  67.     <<

> Oh my, what a tragic loss to our hobby! I knew of Richard for many
years,
> probably best for his language lessons on Radio Canada International.
I  got to

It is interesting that you also remember those language series
Richard did, if they were the ones in the early 1970's time frame. I
was at WCBS then and Richard was at Adelphi (or was it Hofstra?)
in Long Island, and he travelled into NYC and came up to the
WCBS studio where I sat him in an unused studio one night
and started a couple of tapes going, and he knocked out the
entire series in one sitting, I cleaned up the few edits and mailed
the tapes up to Ian McFarland (RCI, Box 6000 Montreal). I wonder if
they survive anywhere after about 35 years. I might have given away
my copy after some time.

He visited Kathy (my late wife) and I several times in 1973 or
1974. He could tune my GPR-90 which had excellent hearing
but lousy dial readability, and ID the various SW stations
on 11 mc/s by sound.

JAC (QRM) mentioned his stint in Saudi, it was at a town
called Abha, in the Ta'if region north of Yemen, in the
mountainous area and he remarked on the cool weather
there, compared to the desert. I remember his saying he
heard Brazil on MW, probably R. Globo, from there.

I had just seen some interesting clips in the New York
Times about recording dying languages for posterity and
was about to mail them over to him.

> RIP, Richard; you will be missed.
> Bill Dvorak     Madison WI

- Bob