Re: [IRCA] KGA 1510 app

I hope the new owners don't do something really stupid and change KGA's
callsign. Off the top of my head I believe it is in the top twenty
oldest three-letter calls still in use on AM.

This is a copy of their original license.

http://spokaneradio.philcobill.com/kga/pics/19270204-kga-first-license.jpg

What is interesting is that in the 1920's, the owners of KGA wanted to
have a coverage area that was equivalent to KHQ, but of course they
found out that was impossible because groundwave propagates better on
lower frequencies. Later in the 1940's when Louis Wasmer owned KGA, he
installed a 50 kW transmitter and this brought the Daytime coverage of
KGA on a par with KHQ, but they also discovered that KGA had a large
coverage area at night. The various owners tried in different ways to
capitalize on that fact, some more successfully than others. It is
obvious that the current owners don't care.

For an account of KGA's 50 kW transmitter by an engineer who was familar
with its installation see:

http://spokanetowers.philcobill.com/kga-moran2/fifty-kw.php

Bill Harms

--
Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland

Check out the Spokane Radio History Pages
http://spokaneradio.philcobill.com

and the Spokane Radio Tower Pages
http://spokanetowers.philcobill.com