Re: [IRCA] KGA 1510 app

Bill Harms wrote:

> Later in the 1940's when Louis Wasmer owned KGA, he
> installed a 50 kW transmitter and this brought the Daytime coverage of
> KGA on a par with KHQ, but they also discovered that KGA had a large
> coverage area at night. The various owners tried in different ways to
> capitalize on that fact, some more successfully than others. It is
> obvious that the current owners don't care.

 From looking at recent ratings, it looks like KGA isn't doing very
well, period. The last 12+ numbers I saw put KGA down in the high
1-shares, with barely a third of the listenership of news-talk
competitors KQNT (the old KHQ) and KXLY. Citadel, which now has much
bigger issues with the recent ABC deal that gave it big-market
properties such as WABC, WLS and KGO, simply has bigger fish to fry
these days. KGA's barely a blip on their balance sheet now.

I don't think the move from the Moran Prairie site south to Spangle did
KGA's signal (or KJRB's) any favors, especially over to the east toward
Coeur d'Alene, where so much of the money in the market is these days.

And not that I celebrate the downgrade of any big skywave signal, but
there's a legitimate question of how much value KGA's nighttime
programming provides to listeners outside the Spokane area. There's
nothing very local about Jerry Doyle, Lars Larson (on many hours' tape
delay) and Rollye James...and probably very little that isn't already
heard on other big skywave signals in the region. Are they even doing
local news at night?