Re: [IRCA] More coax experiments

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> I have some short pieces of orange conduit I have used, but of course
> direct burial would be easier. I am going to build a metal box with
> the
> coax fitting and all and then I will see how much leakage the coax
> really has. As Rick pointed out, I have too much open wire. But
> again, I
> wonder if there will be any changes in pattern?

*** I'm inclined to favor the directions you've stated above as to me
the combo of banana plugs and a plastic box are the biggest potential
weak points. Then I'd try a choke too before replacing the cable.

While the BOG's we deploy at LBI are on sand, and we use fans as
terminators rather than ground rods, we run coax for three wires, 2
BOG's and a phase wire, up from the beach which is roughly a 75' run.
Most of the coax is RG-8 of one variety or another, and usually a run
is comprised of two lengths with a connector. We then run thru
splitters to distribute them. There's more than adequate signal, and we
haven't noted any significant issues. Owing to the relative short
lengths we've used recently, we're considering longer runs this year to
ighten the pattern some, but we're limited that way. I don't know how
good a comparison this is, and we've never tried seeing how much pickup
there might be on the coax ( usually we're strapped for time in getting
set up for sunset DX on night 1 ), but that's part of my reasoning for
suggesting that the coax might be the least likely of the possible causes.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id