[IRCA] A all a big plot to overthrow the Universe!

At 10:40 AM 7/27/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Charlie,
>
>Thanks. No, I have not got a reply to my question on plotting power. I
>woke up this morning found that all heck as turned lose on stations
>downgrading. I was quite surprised to say the least.
>Any info, I would appreciate it.
>
>Patrick

Patrick,

You should have the NRC DA Pattern Book for a reference, for clarity.

Consider the distance from the center of the circle to the loci of
points that surround the center (origin). All these loci form a
circle that should be equidistant from the center (origin). That
represents an ND station. That establishes a reference. If ground
conductivity were the same all over North America, it follows that
the distance from the origin to the loci would be the same for all
stations of the same power.

To get an idea of the effective power of a directional station
radiated in your direction, simply lay a good-quality calibrated
ruler from the origin of the station to your QTH. Measure carefully
the distance from the origin to the point where the ruler intersects
the circle (night or day, as the case may be). Record that quantity.

Next find an ND station whose distance from the origin to the loci
(circle) is the same as the quantity that you just recorded, and
that ERP will be approximately the same power as that of the ND
station.

You may have to interpolate to get a more correct evaluation.

In that case, the distance to the point varies as the square
root of the power. That means, to double the distance to the
loci of the station in question, the station must QUADRUPLE
its power.

I have the latest NRC Pattern Book. If you want me to plot a
power, just advise which station.

Back in the 60s, Broadcasting Magazine used to publish a DA
Pattern book. It cost about $150, but they sent plastic stick-
ons to apply to the pattern book to update it.

Happy Gandering,

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina