Re: [IRCA] Part 15: an explanation (and loopholes?)

At 09:22 AM 7/19/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Mr. Taylor,
>
>I agree with you. It's my understanding though that
>the 100 mw is measured at a distance of 30 meters from
>the antenna. Depending on the loss of signal strength,
>output power at the antenna can be compensated.
>
>On a side note, I know of a ham operator within
>200-400 miles of me who took an old CB radio,
>converted it to transmit on ten meters, and uses it
>for a CW beacon with one watt of power. How far does
>the signal go? I heard it from my home....
>
>73 de Joe (AB8YP)

Mr. Miller,

What's with this "Mr." stuff? Am I under arrest?

Part 15 specifies a 9-meter antenna and 100 mW plate/
collector/drain D-C input for the band 530-1710
(May be wrong on the frequencies) and that's enough
to met the regs. So a knowledgeable feller could exceed
the field intensity at 30 meters and still be legal.

Lots of CBers have "discovered" ten meters, I hear
tell. In North Carolina, more men need killin' than
amateurs are needin' new frequencies!

This beacon thing intrigues me, and I may try it
someday.

Mr. Charles A Taylor, Esq.

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina