[IRCA] Powell the (non) pirate

At 04:16 PM 7/4/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > After adding a second good copper pipe ground rod at
> > the termination
> > point of the SW EWE, I have found I have really
> > increaded the nulls.
>
>How deep are your ground rods?  I wonder if going
>really deep will help or do nothing? I think this is
>also a function of ground conductivity.

Powell,

Around here, probably an 8-foot ground is minimum. Don't
forget that a ground rod is going to have capacitive
coupling to earth, so the equivalent R-F resistance will
be lower than the D-C resistance.

>I'm not going to do it, but *IF* I fired up on 1720
>with a good and correct antenna, could you hear it IF
>I used one watt?

Patrick may not, but I SURE would. I used to hear three
100-mW MEDFER beacons (VA, MD and SC) above 1600 before
X-Band started up.

I think you can legally do 100 mW at 1720 kHz.

Anyone know anything contradicting that statement?

>Powell (not planning to be a pirate...)

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina