Re: [IRCA] Optical DX vs outdoor lighting in Hawaii

Re: [IRCA] Optical DX vs outdoor lighting in Hawaii

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:40:39 -0700 Walter Salmaniw <salmaniw@xxxxxxx>
writes:

> Since I started this thread, maybe I'll add a comment.  A few years
> back my family stayed at the Papakea resort on Maui.  All the
> outdoor light fixtures had been "upgraded"...perhaps they were the
> Na vapor lights, or off-color CFBs (they had that orangey glow).
> Man was the noise on AM and SW fierce, making reception of anything
> but AM impossible, and very disappointing as I've always loved dxing
> from Hawaii.  That's what worries me.  I'm sure there'll be many
> CFBs that are quiet, and some that are not...bottom line is to
> expect more, not less noise........Walt

Walt,

        Sodium vapor outdoor lighting in Hawaii is a concession to the
observatories which conduct optical DX.  Obviously they have a little
more "pull" than the average radio DXer!  Sodium produces only 2 spectral
lines which are easy to filter out.

Art Peterson
Richmond, CA