Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] QRSS: A idea for future DX Tests.....

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] QRSS: A idea for future DX Tests.....

Brett,

That's a good suggestion. The sweep tones have really been a huge
improvement
during DX tests, but I have met some who consider them to be less than
valid. Why, I'm
not sure.

In a perfect world, I think we'd all love to hear voice ID's for every
station in our log
book, but that isn't going to happen. All of these signals are amplitude
modulated
tones, and the only issue is what we're doing to "recover" them.

I see using a freeware spectrum analyzer as the next logical step. Many of
us already
use low noise antennas, phasers, IF DSP's, and other tools...this is really
just
adding one more.

I'm not trying to alienate anyone, but there is always this resistance to
anything new
in this hobby. Do you know who I see trying for these DX tests month after
month,
year after year? It's not the vast numbers of our members who subscribe to
print
only publications and DX with old equipment. It's the same core group, who
really
do seem interested in advancing the state of the art. They don't all have a
lot
of money or fancy stuff, but they're willing to experiment.

But instead of doing things to improve things for the folks who actually
participate,
we spend a lot of time worrying about the vast "masses" who almost never do.

I don't know about everyone, but if this technique would allow me to log
Alaska or Hawaii or even small New England states from Alabama, I'm all for
it.

Or we can all sit around complaining about IBOC, I guess...

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867