Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] QRSS: A idea for future DX Tests.....

--- Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a perfect world, I think we'd all love to hear voice ID's for
> every
> station in our log
> book, but that isn't going to happen. All of these signals are
> amplitude
> modulated
> tones, and the only issue is what we're doing to "recover" them.

*** We have a lot of different personal standards in the hobby already,
which is fine.

There are some who insist on hearing a full legal ID before they will
count the reception. There are also those who only count stations where
they've received a verification. Others are satisfied with a partial ID
but nothing less.

Those are all tighter restrictions than I observe myself. For AM I
require hearing something which conclusively proves to me that I've
heard the station even absent an ID. That 'something' varies depending
on what's available, but I certainly accept slogans.

But none of that is really the point, because even with the introducton
of new methods, everyone is free to count or not count receptions as
they have been. While it might be nice when comparing totals to know
what the DX'er's individual standards are, it's certainly not
necessary.

My original point was simply that the initial posts seemed to suggest
replacing 5 wpm code with the very slow code. Since that issue has been
cleared up, I have no objection to adding that to the package. If I can
convince myself that this is little different from FM RDS used to
constitute a reception, I might be willing to give one of those
specrtrum analyzer programs a try. I know there was one which was
simpler to install/operate than the others, but I can't recall which
one.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]